“Is Jesus the Christ?” John 7:25-53

Image result for jesus christ
The question: “Is Jesus the Christ?” is a subheading to John 7:25-53. During the celebration of the Feast of Tabernacle, Jesus went into the temple and taught the people the right way to serve God. The Jews were marveled at His teaching. They wondered how Jesus who didn’t go school to receive formal education knew even more than the educated ones. Jesus taught better than even the priests.

Jesus taught the people about God and what best to do to inherit the kingdom of heaven. He told them that the doctrine he was giving to them was not His but from God Almighty. Jesus also performed many miracles including healing the sick. The day was Sabbath day and the Jews were enraged that Jesus was broken the Law of Moses. They wanted to kill Him, but Jesus reminded them how shallow-minded they were.

They Jesus circumcised on the eightieth day according to the Law of Moses concerning circumcision of a male child. That meant a male child born on Sabbath day used to be circumcised on the following Sabbath day in compliance with the Law of Moses; but it’s foolishness that the same people didn’t a sick person to be treated on Sabbath day. Jesus therefore reminded them that they disobeyed the law by circumcising on Sabbath day:

“If a man on the Sabbath day receive circumcision, that the Law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the Sabbath day?” John 7:23

Jesus spoke boldly leaving some of the Jews to wonder who He was. They said, indeed they were expecting Christ, but even if the expected Christ eventually came, would He do more than this man was doing. Read John 7:27c.

Jesus told them that He is the Christ.”Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying:

“Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not. But I know him: for I am from him, and hath sent me”. John 7:28-29

Jesus, therefore, declared that He is the Christ, the I am sent by God. At the declaration that He is the Christ, the people sought to kill Him, but some others among them believed on him.

Comments