BEWARE! KIDNAPPERS MAY BE HIDING BEHIND FACEBOOK CAR SALES! YOUR LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A CHEAP CAR - Awa Micah

BEWARE! KIDNAPPERS MAY BE HIDING BEHIND FACEBOOK CAR SALES! YOUR LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A CHEAP CAR - Awa Micah 

A few days ago, I could have walked into a trap that might have cost me my life. Today, I keep asking myself one painful question: What if I had gone there alone?

Let me share my experience. Someone out there might need to read this before making the same mistake.

A friend reached out to me to help her find a family-size SUV. She wanted a fairly used vehicle, and I decided to help her search. Like many people, I thought Facebook Marketplace could be a good place to find a suitable car at a reasonable price.

Not long after, she found a 2013 Ford Explorer advertised at a very attractive price. She asked me to meet the seller on her behalf, inspect the vehicle, test-drive it and, if everything was fine, make the payment.

I contacted the supposed seller, and we agreed to meet. He shared his location, but it was different from where the car was supposedly kept.

I didn't think too much about it. After all, some car sellers keep their vehicles in different locations.

I made an appointment and went with my mechanic and another person. Thank God I didn't go alone.

When we arrived, the seller was nowhere to be found.

I called him repeatedly. He kept insisting that he was around, somewhere in a white pickup truck. For nearly 40 minutes, we went back and forth on the phone without successfully meeting.

Then came the first major red flag.

He told me that if I were alone, he would take me to his house, where the car was parked, so I could test it.

I explained that I wasn't an expert in cars and had brought a mechanic specifically to inspect the vehicle.

Suddenly, he stopped responding.

Eventually, I encountered a man in a white pickup truck and asked if he was the person I had been speaking with. He denied it.

What made the situation even stranger was that I had already initiated a video call with the supposed seller to help him identify me because we didn't know each other, and I wasn't familiar with the area.

Yet, when we came face-to-face, the man denied knowing anything about our conversation.

At that moment, my two companions sensed that something was seriously wrong. They came closer, called me aside and told me we should leave.

We walked back towards where we had parked.

But the story didn't end there.

The man carefully followed us from behind, apparently listening to our conversation. Earlier, while waiting for the seller, we had stopped at a nearby place to eat. The same man later entered that establishment and made inquiries about us.

The ladies there reportedly told him that I looked like a military officer.

I still cannot say with certainty what this man intended to do. But what happened next left me even more unsettled.

He rushed back to his pickup truck and sped away.

Just like that, he disappeared.

And we were left wondering: What exactly had we just walked into?

Since that day, one question has refused to leave my mind.

WHAT IF I HAD GONE THERE ALONE?

What if I had accepted his offer to take me to his house?

What if I had entered that pickup truck, trusting that I was simply going to inspect a car?

Would I have returned home safely? Would I have had the chance to tell this story?

I don't have the answers. I can only be grateful that I wasn't alone and that we trusted our instincts enough to walk away.

I am sharing this not to create panic, accuse anyone without proof, or discourage people from buying cars online. I am sharing it because we cannot afford to be careless with our lives.

A car advertised at an unbelievably attractive price is not worth risking your life for.

Please, take these precautions whenever you want to buy a vehicle from someone you meet online:

Never go alone. Take trusted people with you.

Never agree to be taken to an unfamiliar private location by someone you have only met online.

Insist on inspecting the actual vehicle at a safe, verifiable location before making any payment.

Be suspicious of inconsistent stories, unusual meeting arrangements and sellers who suddenly change their behaviour.

Share your live location and meeting details** with trusted friends or family.

If something feels wrong, leave. You don't owe a stranger the benefit of the doubt at the expense of your safety.

If you suspect criminal activity, report it to the appropriate authorities.

Dear friends, we are living in times when a simple search for a car, a job, a business deal or even a friendship can expose us to danger if we are not careful.

Not everyone online is who they claim to be.

Sometimes, the danger doesn't announce itself. It comes disguised as an opportunity.

PLEASE, VALUE YOUR LIFE MORE THAN ANY BARGAIN.

Share this post. Someone looking for a car on Facebook Marketplace today might see it in time to avoid a dangerous situation tomorrow.

May we all find honest people in our dealings, and may we always return safely to the people who love us. 🙏🏽

#StayAlert #OnlineSafety #FacebookMarketplace #CarBuyingSafety #YourLifeMatters

Comments